Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Black vs. White

I heard a joke that Sunday morning is the most segregated hour in America. It's a shame but true. On examining my own heart, I know there is a lot of resentment and distrust.

As complicated as my feelings are and the whole racial situation is, I realized that I need to pray about it. I've been in a whirlwind of emotions, but God is so much bigger than that. Tonight I was reading Romans and I nearly jumped when I saw this verse:

"Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."

I've seen this verse so many times. But that one sentence caught me by surprise. The whole passage reads:

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the Jews on behalf of God's truth, to confirm the promises made to the patriarchs so that the Gentiles may glorify God for his mercy." (Romans 15)

This was written during the time of the Roman empire. The Jewish nation was being occupied; I really can't imagine the division between the Jews and Gentiles. I don't know if it's the same as the division we have today. But God accepts us all through Christ - so we should accept each other.

Most importantly, the spirit of unity will come from a God who also desires to give us endurance and encourage us. It's really amazing that I was reminded of this passage tonight.

Cherio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home