Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Onegai Sensei

For years, I've had an idea to open a school and be a teacher for kids who are being "left behind." Baltimore is a good example of a place where that is happening. The exciting thing is that two days ago I actually stumbled on a program that coordinates volunteering for several Title 1 schools in the area. I talked to someone at one of the schools and visited today.

It was like stepping into a different world. Most of the kids' families are at poverty level so they give out free snacks. You don't see parents picking the kids up, they just walk off after school or grandparents/guardians pick them up. Yet right behind the school is the wealthiest areas in the city -- who's kids go to private schools.

Anyway, I'm going to start tutoring in some after school programs next week. I'm so looking forward to it. To be honest, it's a relief to leave Hopkins and go there. I always feel angry when I drive through the neighborhood on my way to Hopkins. It's not fair.


3 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Blogger Goldie said...

You know, if you would not have advised me to vote for Bush, I would have never guessed that you were Republican!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Mariposa said...

Well, you're not the first to be unsure of my political leanings. I'm not a Republican. But most people know I'm very conservative because of my Christian beliefs? Why were you surprised I'd vote for Bush?

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Goldie said...

Yeah, I guess I would have assumed you had more liberal leanings (based on your general tendencies and entries like this one). But I know very little about politics and what makes someone vote one way or another. Either way, I don't usually hold people's political beiefs against them ;).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home